Enhancements made to lighting and pedestrian crosswalks
By Stacy Dietzler
In an ongoing effort to keep our community safe, recently several enhancements have been made in the South District which we are excited to share with you. Below a list of the new improvements:
1. Lights under the bridge at Central Station on G.E.Patterson are operational
2. Street light at the Central Station Powerhouse is operational
3. Newly painted pedestrian crosswalk striping at GE Patterson & South Front
4. Newly painted pedestrian crosswalk striping at G.E. Patterson and Tennessee Avenue
5. Newly painted pedestrian crosswalk striping at Georgia at Florida and Tennessee.
6. The post top lights on South Front by the Central Station Pavilion have been cleaned and some of the older bulbs have been changed out.
7. A damaged storm drain on South Front across from the Memphis Farmers Market has been repaired.
The City of Memphis Public Works Division is responsible for the operation and maintenance of the City's infrastructure which includes streets, sanitary sewers, storm drains, bridges and flood control. In addition, the Division is responsible for the collection and disposal of the City's Solid Waste and the transport and treatment of both domestic and industrial wastewater for the metropolitan area.
Maintenance is responsible for repair and maintenance, including asphalt overlay and pothole repairs on more than 3,400 miles of roadway within the City; routine maintenance and emergency repair service to existing drainage systems within the City's right-of-way to minimize flooding and property damage; street lighting to increase the visibility and safety of roadway users during nighttime hours; and heavy equipment services to support City maintenance and emergency activities.
Some helpful tips when reporting issues:
• Should you see a street light out, please contact Memphis Light, Gas and Water (MLGW) at (901-320-1497 and include the number on the street light post as a reference for MLGW.
• Should you need to report a pothole, you can only report two pot holes per phone call. (901) 636-6500 (or dial 3-1-1)
Below are some important phone numbers for your reference:
Services Provided by Public Works
- Flooding Drain Maintenance (901) 357-0100
- Damaged Storm Water Inlet or Channel Drain Maintenance (901) 357-0100
- Overflowing Manhole Environmental (901) 529-8025
- Sewer Backup Environmental (901) 529-8025
- Sewer Billing Environmental Engineering (901) 636-6757
- Household/commercial solid waste collection (901) 636-6851 or 636-6500
- City Issued Garbage Carts and Recycling Containers (901) 636-6851 or 636-6500
- Curbside and Public Drop-off Recycling (901) 636-6851 or 636-6500
- Street Paving Street Maintenance (901) 636-7127
- Pothole Repair Street Maintenance (901) 636-6500 (or dial 3-1-1)
- Street Light Outage - MLGW (901) 320-1497
- Dumping in street - Storm Drain Environmental (901) 636-434
For additional information or assistance, Maintenance can be reached at the following numbers:
- Street Maintenance (901) 636-7127
- Drain Maintenance & Heavy Equipment (901) 357-0100
- Street Lighting (901) 636-7113